Thursday, January 8, 2009

Change

Why are we humans so reluctant to allow each other to change? I sent an email today to someone that Adam knew growing up. I sent it because this person had expertise in an area and I had a question, but the exact reason I sent the email isn't my point. He was very kind in his reply, and I think in an effort to compliment me he made a few comments on how he couldn't believe Adam ended up with someone like me. Now, on the one hand I appreciate the fact that people seem to have a good opinion of me and think that I'm a worthwhile person. However, this is not the first time that someone has in all seriousness said something like this to me. A member of his own family has even made a similar comment before, and to tell you the truth I find it very frustrating. I didn't know Adam 10 years ago. I have heard wasn't the most agreeable teenager. The thing is, I really don't care too much about the person Adam was as a teenager. I didn't marry Adam the teenager. I married the 25 year old Adam. The Adam that I see every day is very kind and loving. He is working the hardest that he ever has in his entire life so that he will be qualified to get a good job to support our family. He is incredibly patient with me when I have anxiety and freak out about things (which people who don't live with me may not know I do). In fact, he is just incredibly patient. He isn't perfect, but he is doing his best for me and for our future family. That's the Adam I see every day. Why do some of the people who knew him 10 years ago refuse to see the Adam that is now, and insist on the one that was back then? Wouldn't they rather know the much improved version of this wonderful man?

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I think people(especially family) get an idea of who someone is and then they forget to reevaluate it. I know my family still treats me like I am my 16 year old self. I think that seeing who someone married is a huge wake-up call for many people. I also think think that Adam is good at keeping his awesomeness a secret, you bring it out of it him and parade it for all to see.