Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ode to Phoenix




Fourteen and 1/2 years ago, my brother John brought a little puppy into our family. He named the dog Phoenix at my suggestion. Phoenix was a yellow lab mix and true to his nature, he was extremely loving and affectionate. Yesterday, my mom and John had to make the sad decision that 14 1/2 years was pretty good for an 85 pound dog, and that the many physical complications Phoenix was experiencing due to his age warranted him being put down. I thought I would be OK, I mean after all he was just a dog. But it turns out that I have actually been quite sad. I know my mother and brother thought long and hard about it and that they made the right decision, but that doesn't mean I won't miss the stinky old thing when I go home to visit my family. I mean, we got the dog when I was 14 1/2 and he has been a part of my family for half of my life.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night and as I lay awake, I imagined what it must have been like for my brother. In my mind's eye I watched John take his childhood companion to the vet and I saw him hold Phoenix as he quietly fell asleep. I watched as he carried Phoenix's lifeless body to the back yard. There he began to dig a deep hole as the rain poured all around, nature openly acknowledging the grief. I could see his strong shoulders and back bearing the physical burden of the situation while his tears dripped down his face and mixed with the rain--a tribute to the love between a boy and his dog.

Phoenix, you will be missed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks tiffany, that made me really sad again, but it helps every time I can think about how much we all loved that darn dog, that maybe the grief of this moment is worth all the years of happiness.

Terry Sabin said...

Thank-you Tiffany, he was a truly great animal. He did all the things that he should have and loved us all unconditionally. Those were great pictures that you retrieved from who knows where.

Terry Sabin said...

I have no idea why that last comment says from Spring Meadows--that is my subdivision, not me. This was Mom.